Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
Difference between Tiny Box and Tiny Box Kemper
  • derbstens

Difference between Tiny Box and Tiny Box Kemper

by derbstens » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi,
    as a longtime user of the Little Giant 2 I am very interested in the Tiny Box.
    At the moment, only the Kemper version is available and I was wondering what the difference would be to the non Kemper version.
    Also, as a user of the AxeFxII, I wonder if there will be an AxeFx version and / or support for the AxeFx tuner.
    Thanks for this promising project.
  • TinyBoxAdmin
    Site Admin

Re: Difference between Tiny Box and Tiny Box Kemper

by TinyBoxAdmin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

- close cooperation with the Kemper R&D team allowed me to first create the UnO4Kemper firmware for the FCB1010, and now this TinyBox4Kemper. Both projects heavily rely on Kemper proprietary MIDI communication to show realtime status info. Therefore no plans for an Axe-FX specific version.
    - the TinyBox and TinyBox4Kemper are very similar but at the same time very different...
    * hardware is identical, except for the 7-pins connector. In TinyBox4Kemper this connector carries MIDI IN + MIDI OUT + phantom power, because the Kemper Profiler does 2-way communication with the FCB1010. In TinyBox the 7-pins connector will carry MIDI IN + phantom power (for powering an FCB1010) + probably 5V power (for powering a DIY MIDI controller kit in the works)
    * programming syntax will be different, since the TB4Kemper programming is closely tied to Profiler "rigs" and "effects" which trigger extra MIDI streams. TinyBox will use more general MIDI "triggers", which will be reflected in the programming syntax.
    * remote status info in the browser will be implemented completely differently. The TB4Kemper shows a dedicated Kemper Profiler info screen, the TinyBox will need a sort of UI templating in order to provide a generic way of showing status info of any MIDI controlled device.
  • derbstens

by derbstens » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Ok, so it's not a good idea to get the Kemper version of the Tiny Box and put the regular firmware on it, when it's available?

As the AxeFx Tuner is supported in LG2, is there a chance to implement it into the Tiny Box as well? I can't think of any other two way communication than tuner, stomp box status or scene count to be desirable. Might it be possible to add those functions oneself or is it necessary to implement them into the Firmware of the Tiny Box?

I also would like to know if the Tiny Box can do everything that a LittleGiant2 can do?
  • TinyBoxAdmin
    Site Admin

by TinyBoxAdmin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:31 pm

> so it's not a good idea
    Indeed, it will be 2 different products which should not be mixed up

> implement tuner into the Tiny Box
    No, since I sold my Axe-FX long time ago I would have no way of testing the integration. Mr. Kemper was so kind to offer me a Kemper Profiler free of charge to implement the Kemper specific integration with the FCB1010.

> if the Tiny Box can do everything that a LittleGiant2 can do
    No, the LG2 has a lot of fancy features (like loops and sweeps and a random generator etc etc) which will not be available. TinyBox focuses on sending regular MIDI messages to MIDI and USB. Best way to learn about the feature set is by looking at the editor samples on our website : http://www.tinybox.rocks/tinybox_editor.html
  • derbstens

by derbstens » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm

> implement tuner into the Tiny Box
    No, since I sold my Axe-FX long time ago
    that's a pity!
    So if I understand correctly, to implement the function, the device needs to be at your hands?

Please forgive me my repeated question, since I have no clue of programming and the tuner of the AxeFx> Little Giant works rock solid, it's hard for me to understand that the feature is not transferable.

Could this issue be resolved if FractalAudio released a documentation of their Midi implementation?

Thanks for your answers so far.
  • TinyBoxAdmin
    Site Admin

by TinyBoxAdmin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Indeed. Impossible to implement 2-way communication without the other half to communicate with. Would be somewhat like recording a CD without hearing yourself play. You might have played everything correctly before, but that doesn't mean you can blindy publish a CD without having checked what you played...
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1